Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy Groundhog Day!

Hello All -
So the Groundhog saw his shadow this morning and thats means 6 more weeks of winter! I hope he is wrong since Mardi Gras is only 2 weeks away and I can't handle another cold Mardi Gras! Over my past 3 years at Tulane, Mardi Gras has been COLD! I think its a little unfair of the weather gods since it is the one week that everyone in the entire city spends their time outside! So thats why I hope Phil is wrong!

The semester has started off with a bang! With sorority recruitment for the first two weekends I was extremely busy. But lucky for us, it all went really well and last weekend we finally got our New Member class of 55 girls! They are all really great and excited to join the sorority. To celebrate the new Members, the entire sorority went to Cannons, a local resturante for a dinner and desert party. They had amazing mini strawberry cheesecakes that I would definetly recommend. The night was capped off with the success of the Saints clinching their Super Bowl spot! The city went WILD, but I couldn't expect anything less. New Orleans gets excited about everything!
Now that recruitment is over, the semester can finally begin! This past sunday we had a beautifully sunny day so a group of my friends and I decided to go to the levy. "The Levy" or as the locals call it, The Fly, is a grassy area next to the Mississippi river. It is the closest thing to a beach that we have hear in New Orleans, and we love to go lay out there. Although it was only 60 degrees, the sun was shining brightly and I think I may have gotten a little color on my face.


When I came to Tulane I was introduced to a game called "Bags" or "Cornhole". I don't actually think its a southern thing, I think its more of a midwestern game, but people love to play it down here. The game is very simple, you have two wooden boards, that are slanted and have a single hole in them (Take a look at the picture to the right!). You have two teams, and there are 4 corn filled rectangular bags. A member from each team stands on each end, behind the wooden block and throws each bag one at a time toward the block on the other side. Points are accumulated from each bag that goes into the hole or lands on the block. A friend of mine brought his bags set to the Levy and I played two games and won both!

Ok off to class! Have a great Groundhog Day!

Kelly

No comments: