Tuesday, February 16, 2010

WHO DAT!

Since I last posted SO MANY amazing and fun things have happened in the city, but lets just start with the sports.

I went to my first NBA game! I went with a group of my friends and because of some awesome connections we were able to sit in a luxury suite! It was awesome. They provided food and drinks and we had an awesome view of the court! The only disappointing part (other than the Hornets loosing) was that Kim Kardashian did not make an appearance. The word on the street is that when she is in town visiting her boyfriend Reggie Bush, they go to all of the Hornets games - maybe she was busy at an appearance that day.


Although the Hornets lost, it was a great experience. My friends and I tried VERY hard, but unsuccessfully to get on the dance cam. I think they are a little prejudiced against the people in the luxury suites - but hey I can't really complain.

NOW ON TO THE MOST EXCITING NEWS! THE SAINTS WON THE SUPERBOWL!!! Unless you don't follow football at all, I am assuming you have already heard this news but us down here just can't get enough. WHO DAT never gets old. For those of you who don't know (and I didn't until I came down to school here) WHO DAT comes from the phrase "Who Dat (that) Say They Gonna Beat Dem (them) Saints." I know, I know, it's not very proper english but it's very fun to chant.

My friends and I decided to watch the game together in a very odd, but fun, spot. We knew that all of the sports bars in the city were going to be PACKED with fans so we decided against that. Instead, a group of our guy friends pulled their couches out on to their lawn and brought two televisions outside and we watched it from there. Luckily, we had a bon fire that kept us warm. The game was SO exciting. When it looked like the saints were about to win with only 5 minutes left, we all ran down to the Boot, which is a local bar and grill to watch the winning moment with a huge crowd. Let me tell you, the Boot was PACKED! It was such a great feeling though seeing everyone go crazy after the win.

In true New Orleans spirit, the celebration could not end right there! My friends and I decided to go downtown to celebrate with everyone in the city. Not to get too emotional here with you, but on the way downtown in my friends car I actually started to tear up a bit. The experience was just so surreal. People were all over the streets and in cars cheering and yelling who dat and waving flags and saints signs. Although I'm from Connecticut and grew up as a Giants fan, in that moment I was so glad to be a part of the New Orleans community. It made me realize just how much I love this city and how badly I am going to miss it next year. The people here are so passionate about what is important to them, and it makes you feel that passionate as well. Luckily I was able to pull it together, stop the tears, and enjoy the rest of the night. I will absolutely be asking for a real Saints jersey for my next birthday.

No comments: