Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Break!

So when I was high school I always imagined myself going on one of those MTV worthy spring breaks when I finally made it to college. Going crazy on the beach with all of my friends, listening to great music and getting a tan. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately actually, I haven't done that. The past 2 years I have gone to my Grandmother's condo in Pensacola, FL - which is a 3 hour drive from New Orleans.

This year I decided to do something a little different. My best friend goes to the University of Florida and I have yet to visit her during college so I decided to drive down there! It was a 7 and half hour drive (which i did by myself - however not that bad because I listened to my IPOD and a book on tape). It was such a cool experience to be there! Obviously I loved seeing Sarah, but it was my first time at a big southern state school.

First of all, it literally is GATOR CITY! We did go to a bar called Gator City one night, but everywhere all you see is Blue, Orange and Aligators (not real ones, just the mascot). And Gainesville, nicknamed the swamp, really is a SWAMP! It is nothing like any other place I have been in Florida before. Sarah took me around her campus (which she loves) and I must say it is extremely beautiful, we such a new experience for me. She drives to class everyday, while here at Tulane students walk everywhere. She eats off campus everyday, where students here either make it home to get their lunch or they eat on campus and she only goes to campus for class, where students here spend tons of time on campus for many different reasons. It was just some of these little differences that made me appreciate Tulane, and the size of the school.

She took me down Fraternity and Sorority rows, which were hugely different than here. They literally have MANSIONS that the Greek students live in, all secluded and segregated from where other students live. Greek housing at Tulane is integrated with all of the homes where other students live, not secluded at all. I did ask her to drive me by the Pi Phi house at Florida, and ironically it was set on Fraternity row instead of Sorority row! Weird huh?

Because Sarah wasn't on spring break when i was, I was only there Friday - Tuesday. It was a great weekend though and I was so glad to see her! I spend the rest of my time back in New Orleans doing some school work and just laying out at the Levee. I actually got a darker tan in New Orleans than I got in Florida!

Unfortunately, I didn't take ANY pictures while I was there but I will post some more stuff later!

GO GATORS! (I had to say it)
Kelly

No comments: